Going on an Alaskan cruise? Read Five essential shopping tips:
The best shopping ports are Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Sitka is a great place for Alaskan galleries, walking and site seeing around the port here is the link to a downloadable walking tour of Sitka https://www.alaska.org/assets/content/maps/sitka-downtown-walking-tour-map.pdf
1. Check your cruise schedule for arrival and departure times. It’s surprising how many cruise ships only have half-day calls. If you are on tour, you will not have much time to shop. Suppose you run out of time to buy in one port. Make sure you have time to buy in another port.
2. What are the best things to buy in Alaska?
Well, you will find everything in Julie’s Fine Jewelry http://juliesalaska.com/ Explore their wide variety of Alaskan Art and handmade totem poles. Visit one of our multiple locations to discover one-of-a-kind Orocal & Gold Quartz pieces. Find some of your favorite national brands, including Shinola, Alex & Ani, and Korite. Ask about their sizing services for your jewelry purchases. Or the gold nuggets and quartz specimens- style it into a custom piece by our on-staff jeweler. Also don’t miss Scanlon Art Gallery https://www.scanlongallery.com/ South East Alaskan art and conveniently located right next door is Arctic Gallery proudly providing northwest coast art, Northern Alaska art, Scrimshaw, Qiviut, and Jewelry http://www.arcticspiritgallery.com/
3. One of the not to be missed locations in Juneau is Caribou Crossings.
http://www.cariboucrossings.com/ representing over 60 Alaskan Artists, this locally owned store showcases unique handmade crafts from all over the state! With a solid reputation for outstanding customer service. Fifteen years of nurturing artists’ talents. Caribou Crossings prides itself in providing the opportunity to shop local and buy Alaskan.
4. Ask onboard where the ship will be docked or tendered (anchor offshore, guests must get small boats arranged by the cruise line to get into the port which can take up more of your time).
Skagway dock or tender, if the ship docks, it is with easy walking distance no matter where the ship docks.
Ketchikan can dock or tender. Check onboard; if the ship docks, you can rest assured that you are within easy walking distance of the shops.
Juneau can dock or tender; most docks are within each walking distance. Except for AJ Dock, quite the walk into town, most cruise lines will provide shuttle service. Ask front desk personnel onboard your ship where the ship docks and ask them to mark it on the map.
5. If you only have time to shop in one place in Ketchikan. It would be best if you visited KETCHICANDIES, Alaskan Chocolate. Say no more, right? Just order double, triple because you will wish you had ordered enough for your friends it is sooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooodhttp://ketchicandies.com/